Monday, July 18, 2011

Letter #9



Dear Mr. X,

I wanted to write you while I was here, before I had gotten home, but I am afraid that I had to wait, as I wanted to take in the moment.

Have you ever been to Grand Teton National Park?  If not, will your first trip here be with me?

I passed through the park on my way up here but I did not really get to see the park until yesterday and today, when we camped in the park.  And let me tell you, it is absolutely incredible.  Like magic, and I got to hike 20 miles or so in it.

It was not a difficult hike, just long, and the walkway to Inspiration Point was definitely steep.  I probably experienced all four seasons in those ten miles inward.  At the beginning, I was sweating like crazy, but by the time we reached Lake Solitude this morning, it was chilly and we had trekked over at least a mile of snow.  But it was all worth it.  I had seen the mountains approaching during a good portion of the drive there, but actually being within the range was an enchanting experience.  The forest is straight from a fairy tale, and we saw plenty of moose and marmots throughout the hike.  I ate glacier lilies once we got higher into the colder zones.  And this morning, I decided to be strong and brave the mile over snow to Lake Solitude, which is still pretty frozen despite the fact that it is the middle of July.

Two people kept crossing my mind on this hike though, and that is you and my father.  I kept thinking about how beautiful this place was and how much I wanted to share this with both you and my dad.

My father and I have an interesting relationship, to say the least.  I don't think he knows just how much I love him.  He has sacrificed so much for my family's sake, and mine.  However, the past few years or so have been really hard, and having to compete with your sister for his affection is not easy.  He expects a lot from both of us, and I am trying to make up for some lost ground in college.  I think that our relationship is improving, but we have a long way to go.

I really want both of you to one day hike this same hike with me, whether it's all of us together or if I go separately with each of you.  Either way it's an incredible hike and I would hate it if either of you missed it.  So let's do it!  That is, if we haven't already by the time you read this.  I love you so much!

Love,
Jennifer, the Future Mrs. X

No comments:

Post a Comment